Design Professional Studies
|Course code DESN3411||Units 10||Level 3000||Faculty of Science and Information TechnologySchool of Design, Communication and IT|
This course prepares students for the design/illustration profession by providing opportunities to undertake project-based design briefs specific to their major studies in Digital Design, Graphic Design and Illustration Design or Natural History Illustration within an individual supervision model (preparation for Honours or Research Higher Degree further study) or undertaking approved and supervised industry placement.
The lecture program will include industry practitioners as guest lecturers on topics including copyright, job applications, design/illustration practice, cultural diversity issues and client communication and presentation.
There is opportunity for the student to elect to undertake this course within the discipline as a supervised project or to undertake an equivalent supervised industry placement experience.
In order to participate in this course, students must complete a compulsory Workplace Health and Safety requirement. Students will receive full information on this Compulsory Course Component in the course outline provided by the school.
Available in 2014
|Objectives||On completion, students will be able to:|
1. Apply visual communication design/natural history skills directly.
2. Critically and creatively set objectives and evaluate outcomes appropriate to visual communication design/natural history illustration practice.
3. Produce visual communication design/natural history illustration materials.
4. Learn by doing actual visual communication (design and/or natural history illustration) tasks for/with local professionals.
5. Critically reflect on the issues facing visual communication design/natural history illustration practitioners in day-to-day practice.
1 (a) The brief (student preparation), which is a task-oriented description of the project.
(b) Solutions that embody comprehensive consideration of marketing and production. This may include: preparation and research, with documentation for design and/or illustration process (methodology).
(c) Visual communication design/natural history illustration problems that are resolved at a detailed level.
(d) Recording, reporting and critically reflecting on the project.
2. Health and safety considerations relating to the project.
Industry Placement Option
1. Complete a 80-hour placement with an organisation/practitioner involved in visual communication design/natural history illustration.
2. Record, report and critically reflect on placement.
3. Develop a portfolio of artwork that demonstrates participation and experiential learning.
4. Discuss aspects of visual communication practice with peers and professional practitioners.
5. Describe and analyse visual communication design/natural history illustration issues.
|Replacing Course(s)||DESN3410 - Visual Communication Project|
|Transition||DESN3411 replaces DESN3410. Students who have passed DESN3410 cannot count DESN3411 for credit. Students who have failed DESN3410 should enrol in DESN3411.|
|Assumed Knowledge||Successful completion of Major Studies in Graphic Design, Illustration Design, Digital Media Design in the B Visual Communication Design program at 2000-level or successful completion of Major studies in B Natural History Illustration at 2000-level.|
|Modes of Delivery||Internal Mode|
|Teaching Methods||Problem Based Learning|
Self Directed Learning
|Contact Hours||Lecture: for 1 hour(s) per Week for 7 weeks|
Practical: for 80 hour(s) per Term for Full Term
Tutorial: for 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
|Timetables||2014 Course Timetables for DESN3411|