Design Major Folio
Not available in 2013
Previously offered in 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007
This course prepares students for the design profession by providing opportunities to undertake project based design briefs specific to their major studies in Digital Design, Graphic Design and Illustration Design. The lecture program presents guest lecturers on topics including copyright, job applications, ethics, cultural diversity issues and client presentation. Creation, preparation and presentation of a folio of work demonstrating advanced design skills both as an individual and a member of a design team is the focus of this final year course.
|Objectives||On successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
1. demonstrate a professional entry level of skill and knowledge specific to the visual communication discipline within a selected major study;
2. work in a co-ordinated team or as a self-disciplined individual in the direction and production of professional visual communication design;
3. demonstrate an advanced knowledge of design processes;
4. professionally prepare and present a portfolio of work;
5. display a critical awareness and dialogue of contemporary issues relevant to professional visual communication practices.
- folio preparation
- professional techniques and materials in illustration, graphic and digital design
- studio/agency contemporary professional practice
- role of the individual in a creative team
- semiotics for visual communication
- client communication and interaction
- project brief preparation
- exhibition and display techniques
- fundamentals of commercial studio practice
- interview resume preparation
- visual research methodology
- production supervision and management
- project planning
- cultural and ethical issues in design
|Replacing Course(s)||DESN3130 - 'Visual Communication Major Studies - Part 2' (20 units)|
|Transition||DESN3350 - 'Design Major Folio' replaces DESN3130 - 'Visual Communication Major Studies - Part 2'.
Students who fail DESN3130 - 'Visual Communication Major Studies - Part 2' should enroll in DESN3350 - 'Design Major Folio'.
Students who have successfully completed DESN3130 - 'Visual Communication Major Studies - Part 2' should not enroll in DESN3350 - 'Design Major Folio'. Not to count with DESN3130 - 'Visual Communication Major Studies - Part 2'.
|Assumed Knowledge||DESN2310, DESN2100, DESN2111, DESN2260, DESN2300|
|Modes of Delivery||Internal Mode|
|Contact Hours||Lecture: for 1 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Studio: for 3 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Computer Lab: for 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term