Design for Advertising
|Course code DESN3140||Units 10||Level 3000||Faculty of Science and Information TechnologySchool of Design, Communication and IT|
This unique course explores the creative aspects of the graphic design process by applying design principles appropriate to advertising problem solving. Students will undertake advertising design projects which place emphasis on generating various approaches to problem solving, advanced presentation skills, group interaction along with advertising theory and practice.
Available in 2014
|Objectives||On successful completion of this course, students will be able to: |
1. display a general knowledge of advertising theory and practice;
2. demonstrate an ability to work effectively as a member of a group;
3. contribute to creative strategy and policy making within a group dynamic;
4. demonstrate an understanding of presentation techniques;
5. be familiar with the vocabulary of the industry;
6. demonstrate knowledge of creative problem solving strategies.
|Content||Topics include: |
- Corporate identity design
- Presentation techniques
- Copy and report writing techniques
- Layout techniques for specialised media
- Strategy assessment/evaluation
- Experimental design techniques and effective communication
- Advertising theory
- Advertising agency practice
- Art direction and the group dynamic
- Creative direction
|Replacing Course(s)||DESN2140 - 'Advertising Design' (10 units)|
|Transition||DESN3140 - 'Design for Advertising' replaces DESN2140 - 'Advertising Design'. |
Students who fail DESN2140 - 'Advertising Design' should enroll in DESN3140 - 'Design for Advertising'.
Students who have successfully completed DESN2140 - 'Advertising Design' should not enroll in DESN3140 - 'Design for Advertising'. Not to count with DESN2140 - 'Advertising Design'.
|Assumed Knowledge||DESN1100 - 'Visual Communication Principles 1'|
DESN1311 - 'Photographic Imaging for Design'
DESN2100 - 'Typography'
DESN2111 - 'Visual Communication Principles'
|Modes of Delivery||Internal Mode|
|Contact Hours||Lecture: for 1 hour(s) per Week for Full Term|
Studio: for 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
|Timetables||2014 Course Timetables for DESN3140|