Visual Communication Design Studio 1
|Course code DESN2170||Units 10||Level 2000||Faculty of Science and Information TechnologySchool of Design, Communication and IT|
This course applies creative problem solving, visual communication principles and processes to design problems in a thematic studio based context.
Working with a project based learning model, activities in the course will explore the use of creative problem solving strategies towards design projects. The experience will acknowledge traditional approaches as well as establish the use of contemporary technology in visual communication studio practice.
Available in 2014
|Objectives||On completion of this module, students will be able to:|
1. Demonstrate a basic understanding of contemporary visual communication studio practice.
2. Produce design solutions suitable for print and electronic publication.
3. Communicate using terminology specific to contemporary visual communication studio practice.
4. Recognise fundamental traditional and contemporary visual communication production processes.
5. Prepare and respond to a basic design brief.
6. Apply recognised creative problem solving strategies to specific design problems.
|Content||Topics will include:|
1. The design brief
2. Design studio practice
3. Computer based imaging systems
4. Image retouching and correction
5. Collage images, text, and graphics
6. Colour management systems
7. Digital asset management
8. Presentation techniques
9. Basic creative problem solving
|Replacing Course(s)||DESN2310 - Visual Communication Imaging|
|Transition||Students who have successfully completed DESN2310 - Visual Communication Imaging will not be required to complete DESN2170 - Visual Communication Design Studio 1. Credit cannot be obtained for both DESN2310 and DESN2170.|
|Assumed Knowledge||DESN1100 - Visual Communication Principles 1, DESN1150 - Visual Communication Principles 2, DESN1300 - Visual Communication Technology, DESN1470 - Design Process and DESN1200 - Visual Communication Drawing 1.|
|Modes of Delivery||Internal Mode|
|Contact Hours||Lecture: for 1 hour(s) per Week for Full Term|
Computer Lab: for 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
|Timetables||2014 Course Timetables for DESN2170|