Visual Communication Design Studio 1
Available in 2012
|Callaghan Campus||Semester 1|
Previously offered in 2013
This course applies creative problem solving, visual communication principles and processes to design problems in a thematic studio based context.
Working with a project based learning model, activities in the course will explore the use of creative problem solving strategies towards design projects. The experience will acknowledge traditional approaches as well as establish the use of contemporary technology in visual communication studio practice.
On completion of this module, students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate a basic understanding of contemporary visual communication studio practice.
2. Produce design solutions suitable for print and electronic publication.
3. Communicate using terminology specific to contemporary visual communication studio practice.
4. Recognise fundamental traditional and contemporary visual communication production processes.
5. Prepare and respond to a basic design brief.
6. Apply recognised creative problem solving strategies to specific design problems.
Topics will include:
1. The design brief
2. Design studio practice
3. Computer based imaging systems
4. Image retouching and correction
5. Collage images, text, and graphics
6. Colour management systems
7. Digital asset management
8. Presentation techniques
9. Basic creative problem solving
DESN2310 - Visual Communication Imaging
Students who have successfully completed DESN2310 - Visual Communication Imaging will not be required to complete DESN2170 - Visual Communication Design Studio 1. Credit cannot be obtained for both DESN2310 and DESN2170.
DESN1100 - Visual Communication Principles 1, DESN1150 - Visual Communication Principles 2, DESN1300 - Visual Communication Technology, DESN1470 - Design Process and DESN1200 - Visual Communication Drawing 1.
Modes of Delivery
Lecture: for 1 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Computer Lab: for 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term