Design Projects 1: Visual Design Experimentation
|Course code DESN1011||Units 10||Level 1000||Faculty of Science and Information TechnologySchool of Design, Communication and IT|
This course introduces students to a variety of foundational visual communication design principles and encourages their experimentation of them. It explores how visual design elements and principles work together to make and communicate meaning. It covers the fundamental principle of tone of voice through the relationship between type, image and graphic elements.
Available in 2014
|Objectives||On completion of this course students will be able to:|
1. Demonstrate a solid understanding of the relationship between material experimentation and idea generation;
2. Experiment with the interplay between visual elements and content using foundational design principles;
3. Generate content for relevant formats;
4. Complete design projects to an acceptable production standard.
|Content||Topics will include: |
1. Visual elements and content including - but not limited to - point, line, plane, texture, colour, negative space, etc;
2. Design principles - including but not limited to - scale, contrast, movement, rhythm, balance, repetition, etc;
3. Experimenting with visual forms and materials;
4. Experimenting with concept and content generation.
|Replacing Course(s)||DESN1100 Visual Communication Principles 1|
|Transition||DESN1011 replaced DESN1100 'Visual Communication Principles 1' in 2014. Students who have successfully completed DESN1100 will not be required to complete DESN1011.|
|Modes of Delivery||Internal Mode|
Self Directed Learning
|Contact Hours||Lecture: for 1 hour(s) per Week for 4 weeks|
Workshop: for 6 hour(s) per Week for 6 weeks
Tutorial: for 2 hour(s) per Week for 6 weeks
|Timetables||2014 Course Timetables for DESN1011|