This course provides students with theoretical knowledge and practical skills in advanced topics in database systems, big data and modern data-intensive systems. The specific topics include indexing methods, query processing and optimisation strategies for relational database systems, Object Relational Mapping and Object Database design, distributed database systems, data mining on large databases.
Not currently available.
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Design, develop and implement a mid-scale relational databases for an application domain using a commercial-grade RDBMS
2. Understand physical database design and implementation issues
3. Understand and be able to use the persistence framework of chosen language to perform Object Relational Mapping.
4. Understand the concept of object oriented database and have experience with object oriented modelling, design and implementation.
5. Understand contemporary issues and emerging technologies such as Big Data, NoSQL, On-Line Analytical Processing (OLAP) and Data Warehouses.
6. Have hands-on experience with a number of contemporary information management systems
7. Explore a research aspect of advanced databases
1. DBMS Internals a. Storage and Indexing b. Query Processing and Optimization c. Concurrency Control d. Crash Recovery 2. Physical Database Design and implementation issues 3. Object Relational Mapping (ORM), Object Database and Object-Oriented Database Management Systems (OODBMS) 4. BigData and Parallel and Distributed database (topics such as role of NoSQL, Map-reduce, Hadoop platform etc.) 5. Contemporary issues and emerging technologies such as On-Line Analytical Processing (OLAP), Data Warehouses, database-as-a-service (DB clouds), data mining on large databases.
This course has similarities to COMP3350. If you have completed COMP3350 you cannot enrol in this course.
COMP6140 Databases and Information Management and SENG6110 Object Oriented Programming
Written Assignment: Assignment 1
Written Assignment: Assignment 2
Written Assignment: Assignment 3
Formal Examination: Final Exam *
* This assessment has a compulsory requirement.
In order to pass this course, each student must complete ALL of the following compulsory requirements:
Course Assessment Requirements:
- Formal Examination: Minimum Grade / Mark Requirement - Students must obtain a specified minimum grade / mark in this assessment item to pass the course. - Students must obtain 40% in the final exam to pass this course