Computer Science Work Integrated Learning
|Course code COMP3850||Units 10||Level 3000||Faculty of Engineering and Built EnvironmentSchool of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science|
Through this course students will work in a project related to computer science area. The work will be undertaken in an organization (industry, research groups, labs) which require computer science skills into their practices. This direct experience will expose students to practices of managers and/or researchers. Under supervision, students will locate and undertake an 80-100 hours work placement with appropriated organisation involved in computer science related areas.
Available in 2014
|Objectives||At the successful completion of this course students will be able to: |
1. Apply a suite of computer science skills learnt in the program in a specific project.
2. Critically set objectives and evaluate outcomes
3. Develop skills required for the workplace, including communication and possibly team work;
4. Demonstrate professional knowledge by undertaking computer science tasks.
5. Critically reflect on the issues facing computer sciences in the workplace.
|Content||The course comprises activities based on planning, developing, reporting and critically reflecting on a major activity related with computer science area. Students will |
1. Apply for, secure and complete an appropriate placement opportunity.
2. Prepare a 'Program of Activity Agreement', which should be signed by the student, workplace supervisor and by the Course Coordinator
3. Collaborate to plan, carry out and report on an appropriate computer science project.
3. Complete an 80-100 hour placement with an organisation which requires computer science expertise.
4. Record, report and critically reflect on placement experiences.
6. Describe and analyse issues relating to real world research and practice.
|Replacing Course(s)||Not applicable|
|Assumed Knowledge||Successful completion of at least 140 units|
|Modes of Delivery||Internal Mode|
|Teaching Methods||Integrated Learning|
|Contact Hours||Practicum: for 100 hour(s) per Term for Full Term|
Seminar: for 2 hour(s) per Week for 4 weeks
|Timetables||2014 Course Timetables for COMP3850|