Media Production: Sound
|Course code CMNS2370||Units 10||Level 2000||Faculty of Science and Information TechnologySchool of Design, Communication and IT|
The course provides students with opportunities to apply and analyse location and studio based audio production techniques as used in radio production, video production, sound production, multimedia and other related communication operations. It examines the practices of producers and sound designers starting with basic acoustics, microphone types and usage and moves on to the various applications of mixing desks and signal paths, the importance of monitoring and mixing and the use of signal processors. The course applies this knowledge to stereo and multi-track recording and editing techniques through the application of recording processes for radio, video and multimedia both on location and in studio environments. The students will use software programs for sound production during this course and come to know techniques and skills applicable to various storage formats and systems.
Not available in 2015
|Objectives||The course objectives are to: |
1. equip students to apply understandings of communication to practical problems in the field of sound production for the media;
2. enhance the understanding of sound recording and post-production processes in professional aspects of sound production for the media;
3. enable students to develop a competent level of familiarity and operational proficiency with recording and sound production facilities.
|Content||Topics covered include:|
1. Functions of engineers, producers and sound designers;
3. Microphone type and usage;
4. Mixing desks and signal paths;
5. Stereo and multitrack recording and editing techniques;
6. Use of digital software for sound production;
6. Recording on location and in studio environments;
8. Monitoring and Mixing;
9. Signal Processing;
10. Storage formats and systems.
|Replacing Course(s)||CMNS2310 Principles of Sound, CMNS3070 Advanced Audio Communication|
|Transition||Students who have passed the replaced courses CMNS2310 and CMNS3070 cannot count CMNS2370 for credit.|
|Assumed Knowledge||CMNS1230 Foundations of Media Production.|
|Modes of Delivery||Internal Mode|
|Contact Hours||Workshop: for 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term|
Lecture: for 1 hour(s) per Week for Full Term