Contemp Popular Music: Cult Prod & Use
|Course code CMNS2350||Units 10||Level 2000||Faculty of Science and Information TechnologySchool of Design, Communication and IT|
Maps the social, cultural, communication and media theories applicable to the study of popular music. Also examines the debates surrounding these theoretical positions and the issues that arise from the relationship of popular music to the media such as its relationship to radio, film, television and other social and cultural institutions.
Available in 2015
|Objectives||The course will:|
1. encourage students to appreciate the complexity of popular music as one of society's most ubiquitous creators and conveyors of values, beliefs and attitudes and a multi-billion dollar a year industry;
2. equip students to apply the insights of communication theories to popular music in particular, and popular cultural forms of artistic expression in general, which impact profoundly on how they construct and carry on their social and cultural lives as individuals and groups;
3. understand the functions and uses of popular music as media content, as a site of mediation for power relations and regimes of truth;
4. enhance the understanding of a particular form of media content and its relationship to the macro framework of culture and society as well as examine and analyse the issues that arise from popular music.
|Content||1. Popular Music as Cultural Production. |
2. Popular Music as a Mass Consumption Culture Industry.
3. History of Popular Music.
4. The Domain of Popular Music.
5. The State, Education and Popular Music.
6. Popular Music Industry and Technology.
7. Popular Musics Relationship to Media.
8. Decoding Popular Music: Audience, Authenticity and Fandom.
9. The Individual at the Centre of the System: Composers and Performers.
9. Issues in Popular Music.
|Assumed Knowledge||60 units at 1000 level|
|Modes of Delivery||Internal Mode|
|Contact Hours||Lecture: for 1 hour(s) per Week for Full Term|
Tutorial: for 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
|Timetables||2015 Course Timetables for CMNS2350|