|Course code CHIN6001||Units 10||Level 6000||Faculty of Education and ArtsSchool of Humanities and Social Science|
This course is designed for MBA students with little or no previous knowledge of Chinese language (Mandarin) and culture. Primary emphasis is placed on developing basic speaking and comprehension skills in a Chinese business environment.
Not available in 2014
|Previously offered in 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004|
|Objectives||1. To develop rudimentary skills of listening and speaking with particular relevance to business and commerce.|
2. To understand basic everyday Chinese (Mandarin) if spoken slowly.
3. To answer questions on a variety of everyday and business-related topics.
4. To perform daily routines such as making phone calls, greetings, making travel arrangements and hotel reservations, etc.
5. To gain insight into the complexities and wealth of Chinese business culture and socio-cultural values which constitute an integral part of the Chinese ways of doing business.
6. To heighten awareness of conducting business in a culturally appropriate manner.
|Content||1. Basic conversational sentence patterns|
2. High frequency vocabulary related to everyday conversations and daily business purposes
3. Core vocabulary related to Chinese business practice (e.g. IT, finance, marketing and management.
|Assumed Knowledge||No assumed knowledge.|
|Modes of Delivery||Internal Mode|
|Contact Hours||Lecture: for 3 hour(s) per Week for Full Term|