Elementary Chinese I
Comprises a comprehensive language course for students with little or no previous knowledge of the language. It is designed to give beginners a basic level of communicative competence in Modern Standard Chinese (MSC - also known as Mandarin or Putonghua) and a brief introduction to Chinese language and civilisation integrated into instruction in the language.
- Semester 1 - 2016
1. demonstrate a firm pronunciation basis in MSC;
2. demonstrate ability to accurately use the Hanyu Pinyin romanisation system;
3. demonstrate knowledge of the basic radicals and formations of Chinese characters
4. demonstrate knowledge of a range of basic structures of the language;
5. demonstrate ability to use approximately 200 high frequency Chinese characters and associated compounds in their simplified forms and to use these characters in simple guided sentences;
6. demonstrate understanding of the broad cultural traditions of China and its people and some knowledge of Chinese history and way of life.
Comprises a comprehensive language course designed to give beginners a basic level of communicative competence in Modern Standard Chinese.
This includes a firm pronunciation basis in MSC, a knowledge of a range of basic structures of the language and the ability to use approximately 200 high frequency Chinese characters and associated compounds in their simplified forms.
Nil. This course is designed for students with no knowledge of the Mandarin language. Students who are already competent or native speakers of this language are encouraged to undertake 2000 level courses for a more engaged learning experience.
Written Assignment: 2 x take-home assignments
Quiz: 2 x Listening Quizzes
In Term Test: 2 x Written tests
Quiz: 2 x Speaking Quizzes
Face to Face On Campus 3 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Self-Directed 1 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
1 hour of self-directed private study of Chinese characters
Face to Face On Campus 1 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Tutorials commence in week 1.