Introductory Chemistry I
Introduces chemistry, focusing on the foundation concepts of chemistry. It examines basic atomic and molecular structure, introduces the chemistry of carbon compounds, and illustrates basic physical concepts central to an understanding in the discipline. This is one of two foundation subjects in the key central scientific discipline of chemistry, providing core knowledge in science, engineering and life sciences.
- Semester 1 - 2016
1. demonstrate familiarity with the basic concepts in Chemistry relevant to the professional practice in the fields of environmental science, biotechnology, biomedical science and engineering;
2. appreciate the central role of Chemistry in science and technology, the breadth of established knowledge and applicability of Chemistry;
3. understand the key Chemistry concepts and their applicability to their chosen fields or programs;
4. understand the basic elements of chemical language, representations, structures and symbolism.
The course involves study of the following topics, illustrated where appropriate with relevant examples from applicable areas:
1. Introduction to Atomic and Molecular Concepts:
- matter, atoms and elements
- molecules and compounds
- equations and stoichiometry
- reactions - energy and enthalpy
2. Foundation Physical Concepts in Chemistry:
- atomic structure
- electron configurations of elements
- bonding and structure
- chemical equilibria
3. Introduction to Organic Chemistry:
- orbitals and hybridisation
- saturated compounds - alkanes and cycloalkanes
- unsaturated compounds - alkenes and alkynes
- aromatic compounds - benzene
This course has similarities to CHEM1110. If you have successfully completed CHEM1110 you cannot enrol in this course.
Students returning to study after some time since HSC are advised to take an PREP094 Introduction to Undergraduate Chemistry refresher course before commencing this course. http://www.newcastle.edu.au/future-students/uonprep-bridging-courses/whats-in-the-program Students without HSC Chemistry are strongly advised to take both PREP079 Foundation Chemistry and PREP094 Introduction to Undergraduate Chemistry refresher course as a minimum.
Formal Examination: Written exam covering foundation concepts of chemistry
Quiz: Online Qizzes based on the three, three hour workshops *
Quiz: Online quizzes based on the three, two hour workshops
Quiz: Online quizzez based on lecture
* This assessment has a compulsory requirement.
In order to pass this course, each student must complete ALL of the following compulsory requirements:
General Course Requirements:
- Workshop: Attendance Requirement - Students must attend a minimum number of these sessions. - Students must attend all three workshops and complete the assessment items required for each workshop to pass the course
Course Assessment Requirements:
- Quiz: Attempt / Submission Requirement - Students must attempt/submit this assessment item to pass the course.
Integrated Learning Session
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for 3 Weeks
Three, two hour workshops for the term
Face to Face On Campus 3 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Face to Face On Campus 3 hour(s) per Week for 3 Weeks
Three, three hour workshops for the term