Advanced Coal & Mineral Processing
Ores and minerals: types, occurrence and distribution; basic geological and mining concepts. Overview of separation processes. Profile of mineral processing in Australia.
Grade and Recovery: Two-product formulae. Concept of Mineral Liberation. Characterization of particles. Size distributions. The importance of Crushing and Grinding in the liberation of ores. Separation of particles by size: Screening; Classification: Hydrocyclones. Particle separation based on mineral properties: Gravity Separation, Dense Media Separation; Magnetic and Electrostatic Separation; separation based on mineral surface properties: Froth depressants, collectors, frothers. Flotation equipment. Dewatering of mineral slurries: Thickening, Filtration, Centrifuges. Tailings disposal. Environmental and safety issues. Examples of Plant layout and Circuit design. Design task in Coal or Mineral Processing will be completed by students.
Not currently available.
This Course was last offered in Semester 2 - 2015.
1. An appreciation of the place of coal and minerals processing in the Australian economy.
2. A Basic knowledge of geology and mining leading to the understanding of the concepts of ores and their processing needs.
3. Knowledge of how crushing and grinding of coal and ores liberates the valuable component.
4. An understanding of the scientific principles of size and density distribution of minerals and its application to size and density separation processes.
5. Understanding of the economic importance of the concentration of valuable minerals and how this is achieved.
6. An appreciation of the safety and environmental requirements of the mining industry.
7. An understanding of the design of coal / mineral processing plants.
- Introduction to the minerals processing industry.
- Mineral liberation through comminution, particle size analysis and size distributions.
- Size classification: screens and hydrocyclones.
- Mineral concentration: roughing and cleaning, removal of gangue material from valuable products by gravity techniques, heavy medium separation, flotation.
- Detailed study of selected recent innovative gravity separation and flotation technologies.
- Environmental and safety considerations specific to the mining industry.
- Flowsheets of coal and mineral processing operations.
CHEE3920 Coal and Mineral Processing
Written Assignment: Regular assignments
Formal Examination: Formal examination