Advanced Clean Coal Technologies
|Course code CHEE6200||Units 10||Level 6000||Faculty of Engineering and Built EnvironmentSchool of Engineering|
Aims to provide students with an overview of advanced clean coal technologies. The course will establish a fundamental appreciation of topics such as oxy-fuel combustion, chemical looping combustion, carbon capture and sequestration.
Students enrolled in the Graduate Certificate Engineering Science and Master of Engineering Science will undertake this as a short course.
Available in 2014
|Objectives||The purpose and objective of the course are to provide students with: |
(a) an introduction to, thermodynamics, heat transfer, chemistry, combustion and reaction kinetics fundamentals of technologies such as oxy-fuel and chemical looping combustion.
(b) an understanding of physical and chemical processes associated with carbon capture and sequestration.
(c) To establish, at an advanced level, an appreciation of fuel technology, power generation, combustion and environmental implications of clean coal technologies.
|Content||1. An overview of combustion fundamentals|
* Reaction kinetics
* Combustion chemistry
* Power generation systems such as, gas-fired furnaces, premixed-charged engines, oil-fired furnaces, gas-turbines, direct injection engines, fixed-bed combustors, pulverised fuel combustors, and fluidised bed combustors
2. Advanced thermodynamics and energy efficiency analysis
3. An Introduction to conventional and clead coal technologies
4. Oxy-fuel combustion
5. Chemical looping combustion
6. Carbon dioxide capture technologies
7. Carbon dioxide sequestration
8. Environmental impact of advanced clean coal technologies
|Assumed Knowledge||Chemistry, thermodynamics, heat transfer, and mathematics at BEng (Chemical) level|
|Modes of Delivery||External Mode|
Flexible Delivery / Student Centred Learning
Self Directed Learning
|Contact Hours||Lecture: for 30 hour(s) per Week for 1 weeks|
|Timetables||2014 Course Timetables for CHEE6200|