Advanced Clean Coal Technologies
Aims to provide students with an overview of advanced clean coal technologies. The course will establish a fundamental appreciation of topics such as oxy-fuel combustion, chemical looping combustion, carbon capture and sequestration.
- Semester 1 - 2015
1. an introduction to, thermodynamics, heat transfer, chemistry, combustion and reaction kinetics fundamentals of technologies such as oxy-fuel and chemical looping combustion.
2. an understanding of physical and chemical processes associated with carbon capture and sequestration
3. To establish, at an advanced level, an appreciation of fuel technology, power generation, combustion and environmental implications of clean coal technologies.
- An overview of combustion fundamentals
- Reaction kinetics
- Combustion chemistry
- Power generation systems such as, gas-fired furnaces, premixed-charged engines, oil-fired furnaces, gas-turbines, direct injection engines, fixed-bed combustors, pulverised fuel combustors, and fluidised bed combustors
- Advanced thermodynamics and energy efficiency analysis
- An Introduction to conventional and clead coal technologies
- Oxy-fuel combustion
- Chemical looping combustion
- Carbon dioxide capture technologies
- Carbon dioxide sequestration
- Environmental impact of advanced clean coal technologies
Chemistry, thermodynamics, heat transfer, and mathematics at BEng (Chemical) level
Formal Examination: Examination: Formal
Written Assignment: Essays / Written Assignments
Participation: Group/tutorial participation and contribution
Case Study / Problem Based Learning: Case Scenario/PBL exercises
Face to Face On Campus 30 hour(s) per Week for 1 Weeks
Students enrolled in the Graduate Certificate Engineering Science and Master of Engineering Science will undertake this as a short course of 6 hours of lectures and tutorials per day for 5 days.