International Study Experience
This course provides students with the opportunity to broaden their educational experience and cultural cognisance through participation in an organised out of country activity such as a Faculty authorised cultural immersion tour, workshop, master class or a series of lectures from a recognised institute. High achieving students are able to expand the theoretical knowledge and skills developed in their undergraduate program, and apply knowledge and skills in an external and international context.
There are two ways in which students may gain access to this course. Either through competitive entry to a partially funded cultural immersion tour organised by the Faculty of Business and Law, or through individual initiative. In the latter case, it is the student's responsibility to provide the relevant Program Convenor or Course Coordinator with a written brief of their proposed activity for formal approval, before commencing this course.
On commencing this course but before starting the overseas activity, students will need to complete a health and safety and risk induction. Full information on this compulsory component will be provided in the course outline provided by the School.
Admission to this course is based on merit and the number of places available may be restricted. Students should enquire through the Course Coordinator or Program Convenor.
Newcastle City Precinct
- Trimester 2 - 2017
- Semester 2 - 2017
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate an enhanced appreciation of cultural perspectives other than their own;
2. Demonstrate knowledge and insights gained only through an overseas study experience;
3. Communicate orally and in writing with confidence about cultural differences and similarities;
4. Use pictorial and journal writing techniques to record and reflect on their overseas study experience.
There are two ways in which students may gain access to this course:
- through competitive entry to a partially funded cultural immersion tour organised by the Faculty of Business and Law, or
- through individual initiative.
In the first instance, entry is based on GPA and a written explanation as to how the undertaking the course will contribute to their future career prospects. In the latter case, prospective students will be required to present to the relevant Course Coordinator or Program Convenor, a written proposal explaining how their participation in a formal off-shore educational activity will enhance their education, cultural awareness and future career prospects.
During the teaching term and before commencing the off-shore activity, students must complete three compulsory lectures covering course requirements, assessment processes, career development and planning, cultural awareness and health and safety. Students must also attend a final debriefing lecture and present on their experiences upon their return. Student must also undertake at least six hours of formal learning during the trip in forums such as organised lectures, seminars, workshops, conferences, etc.
Successful completion of at least 160 units of study.
Proposal / Plan: Pre Trip Planning Paper
Presentation: Post Trip Oral/Visual Presentation
Journal: Reflective Journal
In order to pass this course, each student must complete ALL of the following compulsory requirements:
General Course Requirements:
- Lecture: Attendance Requirement - Students must attend a minimum number of these sessions. - In order to participate in this course, students must complete three compulsory lectures prior to their placement and a final debriefing lecture after their placement.
- Field Study: Induction Requirement - Students must attend and pass the induction requirements before attending these sessions.
- Career Planning Document - Document developed by student and supervisor with regard to placement objectives.
Newcastle City Precinct
Face to Face Off Campus 50 hour(s) per Week for 2 Weeks
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for 4 Weeks
Face to Face On Campus 6 hour(s) per Week for 1 Weeks