Available in 2013
|Distance Education - Callaghan||Semester 2|
This course will provide students with advanced knowledge and skills relating to randomised clinical trials. Students will be exposed to the statistical principles, issues and methods involved in the design and analysis of randomised controlled trials (RCTs). This course is offered in conjunction with the Biostatistics Collaboration of Australia (BCA).
|Objectives||On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
1. Design and analyse a group sequential trial based on commonly used stopping rules and error spending approach
2. Demonstrate knowledge of the regulatory issues and principles underlying the conduct of any clinical trial
3. Understand the basis for cross-over trials, their advantages and their pitfalls together with the way to analyse such trials.
4. Understand the principles underpinning an equivalence and a non-inferiority trial
5. Appreciate issues associated with defining and using good surrogate endpoints as alternatives to primary clinical endpoints.
|Content||The course discusses methods in RCTs for determining stopping rules for interim analysis, analysis methods used with cross-over designs, equivalence, and non-inferiority trials, surrogate end points and the statistical principles encountered in relation to aspects of regulatory/reporting guidelines.|
|Replacing Course(s)||This course will replace the existing course Advanced Clinical Trials & Meta Analysis (BIOS6140). There are no other courses offered by other programs and therefore no impact on other Faculties/Departments.|
|Assumed Knowledge||Epidemiology (EPID6420);
Mathematical Background for Biostatistics (BIOS6040);
Design of Experiments & RCTs (BIOS6060)
Probability and Distribution Theory (BIOS6170);
Principles of Statistical Inference (BIOS6050);
Linear Models (BIOS6070);
|Modes of Delivery||Distance Learning : Paper Based|
|Teaching Methods||Self Directed Learning|
|Contact Hours||Self Directed Learning: for 6 hour(s) per Week for Full Term|
|Timetables||2013 Course Timetables for BIOS6141|