Introduces the mathematical concepts and techniques which underpin the application of statistics in the digital age.
Availability2017 Course Timetables
Distance Education - Callaghan
- Semester 1 - 2017
- Semester 2 - 2017
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Algebraically manipulate a variety of mathematical expressions;
2. Understand the concept of the limit of a mathematical function and evaluate the limits of simple functions;
3. Differentiate mathematical expressions using various techniques.
4. Integrate mathematical expressions using appropriate techniques;
5. Understand the concepts of vectors and matrices and how these are used in statistics;
6. Recognise matrix notation and perform various mathematical operations on matrix expressions;
7. Understand the concept of numerical approximation and its importance to statistical computing.
This course covers the most frequently used mathematical concepts, functions and operations in statistics. Differentiation and integration techniques will be introduced along with the concepts of numerical methods for evaluating more complex functions. The use of matrices will also be covered, including important matrix operations and properties commonly utilised in statistical modelling.
Written Assignment: MA1
Written Assignment: MA2
Written Assignment: MA3
Written Assignment: MA4