Not available in 2012
Previously offered in 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004
This unit allows students to complete a research project prepared for in prior or parallel study in BIOL6950. Students, under the direction of a member of academic staff, will spend a half-semester (or equivalent part-time) on the project. The project will be designed to produce viable results within the timescale of the project, but (because it is a research project) the amount and level of results will only evolve during the actual study. Approximately 60% of the time will be devoted to the attainment and interpretation of experimental results within the context of the known scientific literature of the selected field, with the remaining 40% of time devoted to the preparation of a formal report detailing and interpreting the results of the study. A typed report of a size defined below will be required.
In order to participate in this course, students must complete a compulsory Occupational Health and Safety requirement. Students will receive full information on this compulsory component in the course outline provided by the school.
On completion of the unit, the student will be expected to have developed knowledge of the techniques of research in their chosen field which will permit them to pursue research and development projects as an effective member of a research team.
The student will have developed analytical and practical skills necessary in the performance of research experiments, and in the later interpretation of experimental results. The student will also develop skills in reviewing scientific literature, data presentation and scientific report writing.
This is a research project on a single topic selected by the student with the advice of a supervisor and research committee.
The student may need to consult specific literature articles, as advised by the supervisor or project supervision committee, but there are no formal textbooks required.
RECOMMENDED AND REFERENCE MATERIAL
The student will need to consult the scientific literature, as advised by the supervisor or project supervision committee.
Modes of Delivery
Flexible Delivery / Student Centred Learning
Problem Based Learning
Self Directed Learning
Self Directed Learning: for 10 hour(s) per Week for Full Term