Microbiology will cover a series of integrated themes including virology, molecular microbiology, microbial biotechnology environmental microbiology, pathogenesis, antibiotic activity and antibiotic resistance.
- Semester 1 - 2016
1. Knowledge of the biotechnology processes for which microorganisms can be used and manipulated.
2. Knowledge of the dynamic nature of symbiotic interactions.
3. An understanding of the problems involved in antimicrobial therapy and the development of new chemicals for the control of microorganisms.
4. Knowledge of applied microbiology to environmental management.
Topics will include:
- Evolution and Diversity
- Archaea & Proteobacteria
- Microbial interactions
- Environmental microbiology
- Microbial Biotechnology
- Fermentation and degradation
- Biotechnology applications for microbiology
- Molecular microbiology
- Pathogenesis and antimicrobial strategies
- Mobile DNA
Quiz: On-line Quiz
Written Assignment: Essay/Written Assessment
Formal Examination: Formal Examination
Tutorial / Laboratory Exercises: Tutorial Exercises
Face to Face On Campus 3 hour(s) per Week for 8 Weeks
Face to Face On Campus 1 hour(s) per Week for 8 Weeks