The design studio is structured into a number of tutor led themes aligned to complex issues associated with the city. Students devise a research model that includes data gathering, recursive experimentation, weekly discussion and critique leading to a design proposition. Research findings are presented through a process of continuous engagement with a self-directed individual case study problem.
Availability2017 Course Timetables
- Semester 2 - 2017
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Enrich discourse with a variety of references (literary and or practical).
2. Pursue design as research linked to analysis, hypothesis, argument and resolution.
3. Demonstrate iterative experimentation through various means and processes.
4. Integrate research findings towards forming a resolved proposition.
- Research based design
- Urban context reading, creative analysis, data processing
- Design research hypothesis
- Abstract systems, working models, analogue/digital testing
- Dynamic models simulating behaviours
- Schematic design (argument & strategy)
- Scheme integration into urban context
- Design research progression, resolution & refinement
Project: Design Research Hypothesis
Project: Schematic Design
Project: Design Development
Face to Face On Campus 11 hour(s) per Term
Face to Face On Campus 65 hour(s) per Term