Construction Technology and Services
This course develops the understanding of key concepts associated with the construction of High Rise buildings. The course provides a vehicle to develop knowledge and skills needed to comprehend the design of services in major buildings, and in so doing engender a lifelong interpretation of the intricacies of physical installation and their critical sequence in the construction process.
- Semester 1 - 2015
Distance Education - Callaghan
- Semester 1 - 2015
1. Understand the techniques used in high-rise construction and how they are incorporated into the building process
2. Appreciate the requirements and elements of HVAC, mechanical, electrical, hydraulic and transportation services in buildings
3. Understand the design and integration of services into high-rise buildings
4. Present written and visual concepts and ideas.
- Building Code of Australia
- Evolution of High Rise Structures
- Curtain Walls & Facades
- High Rise HVAC, environmental, electrical, mechanical, hydraculic services & lifts
- Thermal comfort, heat load analysis, air conditioning processes, plant selection and sizing.
- Implications for managing the construction process.
- Gas, oil, electricity and solid fuels.
- Design of hot and cold water supply, drainage systems and effluent, electrical supply and distribution systems and vertical transportation.
- Concrete Frame construction
- Steel frame construction
- High Rise Structural Elements
- Management of the building process
This course replaces the following course(s): ARBE4102. Students who have successfully completed ARBE4102 are not eligible to enrol in ARBE4102.
Written Assignment: A1 - Structural and Building Process Analysis
Written Assignment: A3 - Integration of Building Services
Quiz: Online Quiz
Callaghan and Distance Education - Callaghan
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Distance learning students will receive equivalent instruction through online or other distance education strategies.
Face to Face On Campus 1 hour(s) per Week for 10 Weeks