Construction Technology 4
|Course code ARBE4100||Units 10||Level 4000||Faculty of Engineering and Built EnvironmentSchool of Architecture and Built Environment|
This course develops the understanding of key concepts associated with the construction of High Rise buildings. Similarly, it develops the students understanding of the structural, management and economic concepts that dictate the eventual form of high rise buildings and structures. It introduces the student to the challenges posed by a range of structural alternatives, such as steel and concrete, site investigation and foundation design, detailing of building elements, design of cladding systems, selection and performance of materials, fire regulations, compliance, services and the building process.
Not available in 2014
|Previously offered in 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006|
|Objectives||On completion of this course students should be able to:|
- Understand the application of the materials, products and components used in the construction of high-rise buildings. Understand the techniques used in high-rise construction and how they are incorporated into the building process.
- Understand the integration of services in high-rise buildings.
- Understand fire engineering compliance in high-rise buildings Communicate technical information and design alternatives using a professional report that includes drawings and specifications.
|Content||Structure and construction of major high rise projects in steel and concrete, site investigation and foundation design, detailing of building elements, design of cladding systems, selection and performance of materials, building design, building services and fire engineering. |
Lecture topics include:
- Building Code of Australia
- Evolution of High Rise Structures
- Curtain Walls & Facades
- High Rise HVAC, environmental, electrical, mechanical, hydraculic services & lifts
- Services integration into high-rise structures
- Fire Engineering and compliance
- Concrete Frame construction
- Steel frame construction
- High Rise Structural Elements
- Management of the building process
|Replacing Course(s)||Not applicable|
|Assumed Knowledge||ARBE3100- Construction Technology 3|
|Modes of Delivery||Distance Learning : IT Based|
Distance Learning : Paper Based
Flexible Delivery / Student Centred Learning
|Teaching Methods||Email Discussion Group|
|Contact Hours||Lecture: for 3 hour(s) per Week for 13 weeks|