Building Fire Safety and Compliance
Available in 2013
|Callaghan Campus||Semester 2|
|Distance Education - Callaghan||Semester 2|
Previously offered in 2012, 2011
This course explores the principle and practice of assessment, evaluation and the provision of recommendations associated with fire safety alternative solutions. Students will understand building regulations, fire dynamics, fire safety measures, human behaviour and risk assessment, as well as developing knowledge of the practical design process adopted by the industry.
|Objectives||At the completion of the course students will be able to:
- Understand fire dynamics, fire initiation through to decay and combustion effects.
- Investigate building regulations and fire engineering principles and their application to fire engineered alternative solutions.
- Understand active and passive fire safety systems and their application.
- Understand human behaviour and risk assessment.
- Apply knowledge of the practical design process adopted by the industry.
- Present written and visual concepts and ideas.
|Content||- The National Construction Code, Australian Standards and the International Fire Engineering Guidelines.
- Fire dynamics, convection, conduction and radiation.
- Fire initiation and development, ignition, pre-flashover, flashover and decay.
- Building occupant characteristics and behaviour during fire emergencies.
- Building fire service and equipment including types and application.
- The Fire Engineering Brief and Fire Engineering Report: Fire engineered alternative solutions.
- Design and maintenance of fire safety measures.
- Certification processes including fire safety schedules, certificates and statements.
- The Building Surveying and Fire Engineering professions.
|Modes of Delivery||Distance Learning : IT Based
Flexible Delivery / Student Centred Learning
|Teaching Methods||Problem Based Learning
Self Directed Learning
|Contact Hours||Lecture: for 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Tutorial: for 1 hour(s) per Week for 12 weeks
|Timetables||2013 Course Timetables for ARBE3306|