Construction Technology 3
|Course code ARBE3100||Units 10||Level 3000||Faculty of Engineering and Built EnvironmentSchool of Architecture and Built Environment|
This course explores the technical issues associated with building types for public use including building structure, construction materials and techniques, and cost planning and specification. It is aimed at developing students understanding of the implications of using alternative materials and construction processes for structural systems; an understanding of construction design and detailing; an appreciation of the selection and design of foundations in response to specific ground and soil conditions; and an understanding of using Building Information Modelling (BIM) to design and documentation of structural system for commercial buildings.
Available in 2014
|Objectives||On completion of this course students should be able to: |
- Understand the knowledge of the ground and soil conditions, materials, systems and components, and the techniques and methods used in the construction of commercial buildings.
- Analyse the suitability of the various methods and technologies available for the construction of the commercial buildings in response to specific ground and site conditions.
- Evaluate design alternatives in terms of buildability and cost.
- Illustrate the construction sequencing of tasks and activities involved in the construction of commercial building.
- Understand the use of Building Information Modelling (BIM) tools for design and documentation of structural system for commercial buildings.
|Content||Piled foundations and basement construction, structural form and construction in steel and concrete, cladding systems, and the Australia Building Code, building services.|
Lecture topics include:
- Soil pressures and forces; compressibility and settlement; shear strength
- Selection of foundations in response to ground conditions
- Piled Foundations
- Basement Construction
- Prestressed Concrete
- Specifications & Approximate Cost Estimating
- Fire & Fire fighting Equipment
- Incorporation & Distribution of services
- BIM for Design and Documentation of Structural Systems
|Replacing Course(s)||Not applicable|
|Assumed Knowledge||ARBE2100 Construction Technology 2|
|Modes of Delivery||Distance Learning : IT Based|
Flexible Delivery / Student Centred Learning
|Contact Hours||Lecture: for 3 hour(s) per Week for 13 weeks|
|Timetables||2014 Course Timetables for ARBE3100|