Cost Planning and Estimating
|Course code ARBE2308||Units 10||Level 2000||Faculty of Engineering and Built EnvironmentSchool of Architecture and Built Environment|
This course examines and applies estimating tools, techniques and software for costing construction projects in its various stages from both client and contractor perspectives. Elements of preliminary estimating, cost planning and detailed estimating will be integrated and applied to enable informed rational cost related decisions. Applies estimating principles to price/cost superficial spaces, functional areas, elements, resources and trades and develop ethical bidding strategies.
Available in 2014
|Objectives||On completion of this course students should be able to:|
- Apply preliminary cost estimating techniques to prepare building cost plans
- Apply estimating techniques to build unit prices.
- Price tenders with available information.
- Develop and apply appropriate cost planning and bidding strategies that are ethically appropriate.
- Extract relevant information from Building Information Models to apply to estimates
|Content||- Introduction to cost planning and estimating Preliminary estimating techniques|
- Preparing cost plans
- Estimating preliminaries & temporary works
- Estimating trades (selected trades)
- Bidding models and tendering strategies
- Civil engineering (infrastructure) estimating basics
- Estimating with computers
- Use of BIM in estimating
- Preparing for pre qualifications, Tender evaluation process and Post tender protocols
|Replacing Course(s)||This replace the existing 10 credit course ARBE2304 Estimating and Tendering.|
|Transition||ARBE2304 Estimating and Tendering to ARBE2308 Cost Planning and Estimating.|
|Modes of Delivery||Distance Learning : IT Based|
Flexible Delivery / Student Centred Learning
|Teaching Methods||Case Study|
Problem Based Learning
Self Directed Learning
|Contact Hours||Lecture: for 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term|
Tutorial: for 1 hour(s) per Week for 10 weeks
|Timetables||2014 Course Timetables for ARBE2308|