Financial Institutions Risk Management
Effective firm wide risk management sustains financial institutions. This course provides an overview of financial markets and the role of financial institutions, liquidity management, the use of financial derivatives in the management of interest rate risk, financial institutions liability management, management of the securities portfolio, credit analysis, management of the loan portfolio, management of bank capital, an overview of financial institutions regulations and issues in international banking. International perspectives to risk management and building skill in problem solving and decision making will be developed.
- Semester 2 - 2016
- Semester 2 - 2017
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Define and distinguish the various sources of commercial and retail debt financing available through Australian financial institutions
2. Provide an overview of basic risk management procedures of banks
3. Identify in the financial statements of institutions the indicators of impending crisis
4. Construct asset-liability portfolios for financial institutions, together with portfolios of financial derivative instruments, that effectively minimise the potentially damaging effects of interest rate volatility on bank (and corporate) profitability
5. Apply appropriate procedures for appraising the credit risks inherent in bank loans, and for the pricing of loan agreements
6. Define sources of international finance, and analyse how the current banking system provides access to such funds
7. Provide an overview of the regulatory constraints under which Australian banks, foreign banks, building societies and credit unions operate
8. Analyse, evaluate and synthesise quantitative and qualitative information accessed to manage risk
9. Recognise and employ the processes and strategies which assist independent learning
Provides an overview of financial markets and the role of financial institutions, liquidity management, the use of financial derivatives in the management of interest rate risk, financial institutions liability management, management of securities portfolios, credit analysis, management of loan portfolios, management of bank capital, an overiview of financial institutions regulations and issues in international banking.
ACFI2070 and one of the following courses ACFI2080, ACFI3006.
In Term Test: Mid Semester test
Written Assignment: Written Group Assignment
Formal Examination: Formal Examination
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Face to Face On Campus 1 hour(s) per Week for 12 Weeks