Auditing and Assurance
|Course code ACFI3005||Units 10||Level 3000||Faculty of Business and LawNewcastle Business School|
In the absence of an independent audit, the users of financial statements would be constrained in respect of the amount of reliance that they could place on the financial statements. Consequently, the provision of an independent and professional audit opinion improves the quality and reliability of financial information presented to decision makers. The major conceptual and technical aspects of auditing are introduced, while emphasis is upon financial statement audits conducted under the Corporations Act 2001, students will also be exposed to other types of audit and assurance activities while examining the legal, ethical and societal role and responsibilities of the auditor.
Available in 2014
|Objectives||Upon successful completion of the course it is intended you will be able to:|
1. Comprehend and apply the conceptual underlying theory of auditing;
2. Interrelate the legal, ethical and societal role and responsibilities of the auditor;
3. Demonstrate a practical awareness of professional auditing techniques;
4. Recognise and appraise contemporary auditing issues.
5. Analyse, evaluate and synthesise both quantitative and qualitative information to inform auditing theory and practice.
6. Research practice and issues impacting auditing and assurance, effectively communicating knowledge and outcomes in oral
and written contexts.
|Content||This course introduces the major conceptual and technical aspects of auditing. Emphasis is placed on financial statement audits conducted under the Corporations Law. Provides insight into other types of audit and assurance activities. Emphasises the risk-based approach to auditing.|
|Transition||This course is not available to students who have successfully completed ACFI3050.|
|Modes of Delivery||Internal Mode|
|Contact Hours||Lecture: for 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term|
Tutorial: for 1 hour(s) per Week for 10 weeks
|Timetables||2014 Course Timetables for ACFI3005|