Australian income tax laws are complex and varied. This course introduces you to Australian income tax laws with specific emphasis on how to access provisions of the Income Tax Assessment Act and related legislation. In addition you will be made aware of tax planning issues that exist in relevant personal and business environments and learn how to communicate technical tax information to client taxpayers. The graduate qualities of problem solving, decision making and communication are enhanced throughout.
- Summer 1 - 2016/2017
- Semester 1 - 2017
- Semester 1 - 2017
- Trimester 2 - 2017 (Singapore)
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate specific knowledge of Australian Income Tax Laws.
2. Access provisions of the Income Tax Assessment Act and related legislation.
3. Analyse, evaluate and synthesise information to solve tax problems.
4. Recognise, interpret and investigate tax planning issues in particular factual situations.
5. Communicate technical tax information to client taxpayers.
6. Demonstrate a practical knowledge of professional ethics and standards.
Lectures may include, but are not restricted to, the following topics:
- International Taxation
- Assessable Income Ordinary Income
- Assessable Income Other Issues
- Allowable Deductions General Deductions
- Allowable Deductions Specific Deductions
- Calculation of Individual Taxation
- Depreciating Assets
- Retirement Payments
- Capital Gains Tax
- Fringe Benefits Tax
- Companies and Partnerships
- Good and Services Tax
Written Assignment: Individual Written Assessment
Quiz: Mid Semester Quiz
Formal Examination: Final Examination
Callaghan, Ourimbah and UoN Singapore
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Students are expected to complete 4 hours of guided learning via online preparation, lectures, interactive workshops, tutorials, discussion groups or self-directed learning and an additional 6 hours of independent study per week.
Face to Face On Campus 1 hour(s) per Week for 12 Weeks starting in week 2