Aboriginal Labour: Past and Present
|Course code ABOR2242||Units 10||Level 2000||Faculty of Education and ArtsWollotuka School of Aboriginal Studies|
This course explores the labour history of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians from traditional modes of production to the present day. The course covers a wide range of issues ranging from exploitation and discrimination to the many achievements and contributions Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people have made to the Australian economy. Furthermore it examines pathways of employment relative to closing the inequities faced by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people today.
All ABOR courses are constructed with the Wollotuka Institute's Cultural Standards Framework.
Available in 2014
|Objectives||On successful completion of this course, students will:|
1. Hold a detailed understanding of the historical sequences after Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander modes of production and divisions of labour.
2. Demonstrate an understanding of the issues that impact on Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander employment today.
3. Have developed a foundation level of knowledge relating to improving the employment of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
4. Have explored the foundations of racism and the world of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Aboriginal labour markets
5. Be exposed to a comprehensive analysis of the social costs of employment inequity in Australian society.
|Content||Students will explore the traditional labour divisions of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander society prior to invasion. This will be followed by a detailed examination of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander employment from the early colonial contact period in 1788 up until the present day. The course will look at remote, rural and urban Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities.|
|Assumed Knowledge||ABOR1110 or equivalent introductory Aboriginal program|
|Modes of Delivery||Distance Learning : IT Based|
|Teaching Methods||Email Discussion Group|
|Contact Hours||Lecture: for 1 hour(s) per Week for Full Term|
Tutorial: for 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
|Timetables||2014 Course Timetables for ABOR2242|