The Print as Object
Emphasises consideration of the three dimensional potential of printmaking and extension of student understanding of both traditional and emerging print media. The development of appropriate imagery and form is integral to the subject and its extension to artist's books, printing on ceramic, sculptural form and installation formats. The concept of the print as object is espoused in a contemporary context along with the development of critical skills and relevant studio practices.
- Semester 2 - 2015
1. To consider the creative and contextual potential of the print as 3D object (eg: book construction, installation, the box);
2. To encourage independent research into Printmaking concepts and techniques;
3. To extend theoretical and critical analysis of prints, printmakers and their practice;
4. To develop appropriate visual research practices and material.
Topics may include:
- Experimentation and investigation of print media and mixed media in relation to personal aesthetics;
- Analysis of the book form as an extension of printmaking (construction, design, materials, appropriate imagery);
- Investigation of materials not commonly associated with the production of prints;
- Investigation of the symbolism and history of the artist book on the box as an art form;
- Analysis of contemporary installation practices in relation to printmaking;
- Development of critical and analytical skills essential to visual art practice. Preparatory drawings and research material for the development of appropriate imaging;
- Investigation of paper making techniques as practices in eastern and western cultures;
- Paper casting, folding and moulding techniques;
- Exhibition procedures, mounting and presentation;
- Professional practice and workshop management;
- Health and safety.
Successful completion of AART1500 (or equivalent).
Journal: Studio Journal
Project: Studio Output
Face to Face On Campus 13 hour(s) per Week for 1 Weeks
Note: course may be offered in a compressed delivery format
Face to Face On Campus 26 hour(s) per Week for 1 Weeks