Who should apply?
The Girls' Choices Summer School targets applications from female students in Year 9 who fall into the Department of Industry, Innovation, Science, Research and Tertiary Education (DIISRTE) defined student equity target groups.
These are Indigenous and non-Indigenous students:
- with a disability
- from low socio-economic backgrounds
- from remote and regional areas
- from non-English speaking backgrounds
- who are experiencing exceptional circumstances.
Students should have an interest and potential to do well in maths and science (this may currently be unrealised) and be willing to be challenged by new experiences and explore opportunities.
How to apply
Follow the steps below to complete your application.
- Obtain a copy of the application form from your school or download it now.
- Tell us why you want to be part of the 2013 Girls' Choices Summer School.
- Ask your parent or guardian to provide supporting comments and sign your application.
- Meet with your Year Coordinator, Welfare Teacher, Careers Adviser or Aboriginal Education Officer, to discuss your application and ask them to make comments in support of your application.
- Obtain your Principal's signature supporting and approving your application to the Girls' Choices Summer School.
- Post or email your application by 5pm, 28 June 2013.
Girls' Choices Summer School
The Equity and Diversity Unit
MCG24 – McMullin Building
The University of Newcastle
Callaghan NSW 2308
- A completed application does not guarantee acceptance into the Girls' Choices Summer School.
- Offers of a place will be made on the basis of information given on your application including equity information.
- The decisions of the selection committee are final.
- Students must be able to stay for the duration of the Girls' Choices Summer School.
- Successful applicants will be notified in writing by Friday 23 August 2013.
- Payment of $50 to confirm attendance will be required by Friday 13 September 2013.