Girls' Choices Summer School
Sunday 8 December to Thursday 12 December 2013
This program is a five day residential university experience for Year 9 girls from equity target groups across NSW. Students participate in a program of activities, lectures, workshops and industry visits which are designed to reinforce the importance of further education and expose them to the wide range of study and career options that exist to HSC graduates.
Girls' Choices aims to:
- give students more confidence in their maths and science skills and their ability to achieve in these subjects
- identify the wide range of study and career options that exist for HSC graduates
- reinforce the importance of further education.
- learn more about maths and science through practical and fun activities
- find out about the careers options a university degree can give them
- have increased confidence in their skills and abilities
- have the chance to make up to 100 new friends
- spend five days in Newcastle, living on campus like a real uni student.
What can you expect?
Students will stay on campus (fully supervised) in secure university accommodation. They will follow a timetable and complete activities related to science and maths subjects - including careers, in lecture theatres, laboratories and classrooms on campus. They will also undertake field trips to local organisations to see their possible future careers in action. For the complete university experience there is a taste of campus life, a visit to the Forum Sports and Aquatic Centre and a special event that will be revealed at the Summer School.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
The Girls' Choices Summer School is supported by Commonwealth Equity funds with most expenses covered, including accommodation, all meals and excursions. Students do have to pay a non-refundable attendance fee of $50.00. They are also responsible for all travel costs to and from Newcastle. In cases of financial hardship, assistance will be considered on written application.