Aspire to Inspire
The More Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Indigenous Teachers Initiative (MATSITI) 'Aspire to Inspire' Tier 2 initiative
is focused at Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Year 11 students who are aspiring to be teachers and educators (inspiring others through education). "The program has been informed by the Wollotuka Institute Cultural Standards" says Leanne Holt.
The initiative utilises a culturally appropriate framework and safe space that reflects the key principles of the standards as outlined below.
'RESPECT AND HONOURING' – 'respecting traditions and valuing culturally responsive practices'
- Knowledge of the journey of Aboriginal education
- Highlighting past and current trailblazers, Elders and Cultural Mentors
- Introducing role models that contribute to quality outcomes in Aboriginal education
- Provision of a culturally safe environment to respectfully 'share and celebrate knowledge of their language, history, culture, values and goals'
- Activities related to cultural affirmation
- Facilitate Aboriginal community connections and networks
ACADEMIC AND RESEARCH
- Deliver interactive workshops on culturally appropriate teaching and learning practice, utilising cultural values and principles
- Promotion and awareness of 'culturally safe and healthy learning environments'
INTER-INSTITUTIONAL RELATIONSHIPS 'building relationships for change'
- Introduction and awareness of relevant educational organisations and agencies that contribute to building relationships for positive change
The pilot program will identify 80 Year 11 prospective education students within the S2U program boundaries (Central Coast, Newcastle/Hunter, Port Macquarie and West NSW)
For more information please contact Leanne Holt