UON Singapore Pte Ltd
UON Singapore Pte Ltd was established to manage the University's resources and contractual obligations associated with the delivery of degree programs offered in Singapore in partnership with PSB Academy. UON Singapore now has students from over 30 countries enrolled in 13 programs in both full-time and part-time modes, and a second partnership with BCA Academy. Our student outreach continues to expand as we increasingly participate in regional education and career fairs as well as seminars, conferences and workshops.
The company's objectives include working with other high quality education partners in the region, complementing the University's internationalisation strategy, carrying out research activities, and supporting the University's research and other objectives in the region.
- new collaborative agreement with PSB Academy: UON Singapore and PSB Academy signed a new five-year Collaborative Agreement on July 8, 2014. The Agreement provides an ideal platform for the next phase of UON Singapore's development.
- competitive research grant from Workplace Safety and Health Institute (Ministry of Manpower, Singapore): Faculty of Health and Medicine researchers based at UON Singapore were awarded a $0.3m research grant entitled "Workplace Safety and Health in the Singapore Construction Industry: Assessing the Nexus between Mental Health and Productivity".
- research outcomes: The 2014 research highlights include 3 books, 11 international refereed journal articles, 6 book chapters, 14 peer reviewed conference papers and 8 seminars hosted by UON Singapore.
- development and implementation of UON Singapore Strategic Plan 2014–2016: Leveraging Excellence
- financial performance: Robust financial performance with enrolment figures surpassing the budget target.
Planned strategic activities in 2015 include:
- new partnerships and new programs: Part-time Master of Business Administration (MBA) program with collaboration of SHRI Academy (a subsidiary of the Singapore Human Resource Institute); Part-time Bachelor of Business in Logistics and Supply Chain Management and International Business with collaboration of SMF Institute of Higher Learning (a subsidiary of the Singapore Manufacturing Federation).
- launch of UON Singapore Executive and Professional Programs and Short Courses.
- 2015 ASEAN-Australia Engineering Congress on Innovative Technologies for Sustainable Development and Renewable Energy co-organised by UON Singapore (March 2015).
- UON Singapore Inaugural Awards Night: Recognising and rewarding our talented students and staff.
- multi-disciplinary Conference on the Transformation of Asia-Pacific Economies to be hosted by UON Singapore.
Newcastle Innovation Ltd
Newcastle Innovation is the technology transfer company of the University of Newcastle, founded in 1969. The objective of the company is to create value from knowledge transfer from the University to industry and government partners. This involves building internal resources to access the intellectual property and research capabilities at the University and connecting these opportunities to target markets both in Australia and internationally.
The principal activities of the company are the undertaking of research and consulting projects and the commercialisation of intellectual property. There were no significant changes in the nature of these activities during the year.
- record levels of major research project activity undertaken with industry partners
- research revenue increased significantly from 2013 activity, with a record level of total accountable research revenue achieved
- an increase on intellectual property disclosures which were achieved above forecast levels.
- Newcastle Innovation performed well against performance targets and measures, facilitating the commercialisation of a number of early stage technologies and establishing relationships with a range of industry partners.
Planned strategic priorities for 2015 include:
- promoting the competencies and resources of the University of Newcastle to industry and government stakeholders on a regional, national and international level
- building relationships with industry and government agencies that can lead to large contracted research or consulting projects
- successfully identifying, capturing and commercialising the University's Intellectual Property
- fostering opportunities to better support an entrepreneurial university culture with academic and professional staff
- providing knowledge mobilisation of the benefits of innovation and entrepreneurship to internal and external stakeholders.
UoN Services Ltd
The mission and vision of UoN Services is to provide a vibrant student experience and campus life for students and to achieve excellence in service provision. The company strives to enhance the student experience through a variety of programs, service offerings and activities. It is similarly focused on providing excellence and sustainability in the provision of these services and amenities to students, whilst building and maintaining a strong, resilient and capable organisation. The principal activities of the company are enhancing the shared University experience for students through excellence and sustainability in the provision of services and amenities; and providing an engaging student experience and campus life.
In order to ensure the long-term viability of the activities and functions of UoN Services, all activities and the majority of staff were transferred to the University on 1 November 2014. UoN Services Limited will be deregistered as a company in 2015.