Teach Outreach is a volunteer placement program run by the School of Education. The idea is that schools, early childhood centres and community organisations such as support services for recently arrived migrant students, advertise an activity that would benefit from the support of volunteer teacher education students. The School of Education promotes the activity to students who can select an activity to best suit their development as a teacher.
Teach Outreach has an endless list of benefits for students, the School of Education, and our community partners.
The School of Education benefits by forging closer links with local schools, centres and community groups. Education students benefit from involvement in activities that will enhance their professional knowledge and skills, giving them hands on experience and a unique opportunity to contextualise the content they are learning at University. Participating in the Teach Outreach program can also assist students to stand out of the pack when applying for teaching positions post-graduation. Community partners benefit by having students assist them in implementing activities such as sports carnivals, reading groups, homework support sessions, theatre productions, and school excursions.
Students who participate as Teach Outreach volunteers make links with potential future employers and enhance their professional knowledge, skills, and confidence. Students also receive a certificate and recognition on their Australian Higher Education Graduation Statement (AHEGS) for every volunteer opportunity taken up.
- Read the Teach Outreach Guidelines.
- Submit your Request for Teach Outreach Volunteers online form
When your request for Teach Outreach volunteers has gained relevant UON approvals, your activity will be promoted to UON Education students via the SONIA placement system.
PLEASE NOTE: All Teach Outreach volunteer requests must be received via the above online Request Teach Outreach Volunteers request form.
- Interested students will contact you directly. Arrange a meeting with them to discuss the opportunity.
- Prior to the student commencing the volunteer activity, the student will be required to link themselves to your Teach Outreach offer via the SONIA placement system. They will also be required to complete the SONIA online Student Teach Outreach - Work Experience Insurance Cover Form.
- When the student finishes the volunteer opportunity, they will ask you to sign off on the Teach Outreach Completion of Volunteer Opportunity form. Signing off on this form indicates you are satisfied with the effort the volunteer has made. The student will return it to the Teach Outreach Coordinator.
Log onto the SONIA School of Education placement system using your university issued username and password. Go to the Placements tab and select +Join to view TEACH OUTREACH Volunteer Program information and Teach Outreach volunteer placement offers.
You can also find general information about Teach Outreach on the Teach Outreach Blackboard BB site.
- Locate the Teach Outreach Volunteer Program header and click on the red Details tab. Please read important information located on this page. Please download and read the following documents:
- Teach Outreach Guidelines for Students
- Teach Outreach Voluntary Placements 'How to Guide'
(Step by step instructions on 'how to' link yourself to a Teach Outreach offer, 'how to' complete SONIA online Teach Outreach - Work Experience Insurance Cover Form and 'how to' record your Teach Outreach volunteer hours via SONIA timesheets).
Please ensure that you have met mandatory compliance requirements prior to undertaking any Teach Outreach volunteer activity.
Enjoy the experience.