What is Teach Outreach?
Teach Outreach is a volunteer placement program run by the School of Education. The idea is that schools, early childhood centres and community organisations such as support services for recently arrived migrant students, advertise an activity that would benefit from the support of volunteer teacher education students. The School of Education promotes the activity to students who can select an activity to best suit their development as a teacher.
What are the benefits?
Teach Outreach has an endless list of benefits for students, the School of Education, and our community partners.
The School of Education benefits by forging closer links with local schools, centres and community groups. Education students benefit from involvement in activities that will enhance their professional knowledge and skills, giving them hands on experience and a unique opportunity to contextualise the content they are learning at University. Participating in the Teach Outreach program can also assist students to stand out of the pack when applying for teaching positions post-graduation. Community partners benefit by having students assist them in implementing activities such as sports carnivals, reading groups, homework support sessions, theatre productions, and school excursions.
Students who participate as Teach Outreach volunteers make links with potential future employers and enhance their professional knowledge, skills, and confidence. Students also receive a certificate and recognition on their Australian Higher Education Graduation Statement (AHEGS) for every volunteer opportunity taken up.
Steps for Teach Outreach
For Community Partners
- Read the Teach Outreach Guidelines.
- Submit your Request for Volunteers online form (we then promote your activity to our students).
- Interested students will contact you directly. Arrange a meeting with them to discuss the opportunity.
- When students begin volunteering, they will bring with them the Teach Outreach Cover Request form. Please fill in the middle section. This lets the University know students are volunteering. The student will return it to the Teach Outreach Coordinator. Please note that this form must be completed and returned to the UoN before students commence the Teach outreach activity.
- When the student finishes the volunteer opportunity, they will ask you to sign off on the Teach Outreach Completion of Volunteer Opportunity form. Signing off on this form indicates you are satisfied with the effort the volunteer has made. The student will return it to the Teach Outreach Coordinator.
For UoN Students
- Log onto Blackboard (BB) and select TEACH OUTREACH (All Education students have access to the Teach Outreach Blackboard site).
- Go to
Guidelines and Forms
page and ensure you read and have met the:
- Teach Outreach Guidelines for Students
- Compulsory Requirements
- Mandatory Forms for Teach Outreach
- Browse the Teach Outreach Opportunities and choose one that suits you, your work commitments and timetable.
- Make contact with the community partner directly and arrange to meet them.
- Ensure you complete all required forms (refer to Guidelines and Forms section on Blackboard).
Enjoy the experience.