Profile - Going Green
IT Services supports the work of the University’s Environmental Sustainability Committee and is currently investigating and implementing a number of practices that will reduce our impact on the environment.
Actions already implemented include:
- Automated shutdown of Lab PCs at 10:30 pm,
- Introduction of flat screen monitors as part of the Managed Operating System standard desktop configuration,
- New Dell PCs purchased with energy smart power supplies,
- Student Lab printers set to print duplex as the default, and charging students per sheet of paper whether it is printed on a single page or doubled sided, to encourage duplex printing,
- Recycling toner cartridges
Ideas Under Investigation:
- Automatically turning off staff monitors after time period (15 min),
- Setting staff printers to print duplex by default,
- Setting staff colour printers to print B&W by default,
- Placing recycling bins in heavy print areas,
- Further investigation of times for lab shutdown to gain greater savings,
- Investigating the requirement for banner page for student printing,
- Trial usage of recycled paper in CT Labs.
What difference can these changes make?
- By replacing all the CRT monitors in the student labs with flat screen LCD monitors, a total annual saving of approximately A$193,744.00 in energy costs was made (based on DELL Energy Calculator).
- A computer and monitor (without ENERGY STAR enabled) left on for a year will generate the same amount of CO2 as a car travelling from Sydney to Perth.
- Screensavers do not reduce the power consumption of a computer monitor unless they actually turn the monitor off.