DEFINITION OF PARAPHRASING
Paraphrasing is using your own words to express someone else's ideas whilst still preserving the main ideas of the original source.
Even when you paraphrase you must still give credit to the original author.
One way to avoid plagiarising is to paraphrase an entire paragraph, rather than attempting sentence by sentence.
- Read the original information carefully, and make sure that you understand exactly what the author is saying
- Put the original aside and try to write the main ideas in your own words
- Check that you have kept the meaning of the original source
- Change words or phrases that match the original too closely. Anything that matches should be enclosed in quotation marks
- Include a citation for the source of information
(including the page numbers).